College Scholarships, DC Youth Tour & Youth Leadership Camp
Free D.C. Youth Tour and Youth Camp Contest for Juniors
- High school juniors: contact MPE for details about how you could win an all-expense-paid summer trip to Washington DC or to Leadership Camp in Clark, Colorado. Application deadlines for these outstanding opportunities are in December of each year.
Contact MPE at 970.887.3378 for scholarship application forms. MPE established a cooperative scholarship program to assist students within its territory further their education. MPE’s Scholarship Selection Committee is composed of three members who select scholarship recipients after carefully reviewing applications.
Scholarship application guidelines
Mountain Parks Electric, Tri-State Generation & Transmission Association, and Basin Electric Power Cooperative scholarships may be awarded to graduating high school seniors to further their education based upon the recommendations of the MPE Scholarship Committee. All students who primarily live within MPE’s territory and who are children of MPE members are eligible.
The Scholarship Committee, comprised of a representative from each of the three areas defined as North Park, West Grand and East Grand school district boundaries, shall meet annually to select scholarship winners.
- Annual Scholarship Availability
I. Mountain Parks Electric
Ten (10) $2,000 scholarships available for graduating high school seniors. At least one scholarship will be awarded in each of the
three school districts; at least one scholarship, of the ten, will be for a vocational/technical school.
II. Tri-State Generation & Transmission Association – (2) $500
Two (2) $500 scholarships – high school graduating seniors may apply.
Mountain Parks Electric will match the $500 scholarship awarded to each of the two recipients.
III. Basin Electric Power Cooperative - $1,000
One (1) $1,000 consumer dependent scholarship – high school graduating seniors may apply.
IV. Scholarship Selection Committee Scholarship: $1,000
One (1) $1,000 scholarship awarded by the scholarship selection committee. Scholarship committee will review the applications
submitted for the Mountain Parks Electric, Tri-State G & T and Basin Electric to make a selection. There will not be a separate
application for the Committee award.
NOTE: Students are eligible to receive only one of the above awards.
- Annual Review
MPE’s Board of Directors will annually, in its review and preparation of the budget, consider and determine the amounts, if any, of scholarships for future years.
- A high school transcript or official GED test score must accompany the application.
- Agreement & Disclosure -Each applicant must sign and comply with the “Agreement & Disclosure” document (attached).
- College entrance examination scores (ACT and/or SAT) must accompany an application for scholarship to a college.
- Applications must be received by the cooperative not later than Friday, February 10, 2017.
- All applications will be reviewed to verify requirements have been met.
- Applications will be considered based upon work experience, academics, community involvement in MPE’s service territory, financial need, and the overall appearance and content of the application and supporting documents.
- Alternate candidates will be selected, whenever possible, in the event that the primary candidate selected is not able to attend college/university in the fall of the year.
- The MPE Scholarship Committee, after reviewing applications, will make recommendations for scholarship awards to the Board of Directors of Mountain Parks Electric, Inc. The Mountain Parks Electric, Inc. Board of Directors will have the final authority with respect to the award of scholarships; only after approval of the MPE Board will any announcement or communication of scholarship awards be made to anyone.
Scholarship applications are available at all high schools in the MPE service territory and the MPE offices in Granby and Walden, Colorado.
Where to mail the completed application:
Mountain Parks Electric, Inc.
Attn: Scholarship Committee
321 W. Agate Avenue
PO Box 170
Granby, CO 80446-0170
Scholarship applicants must
- Be a graduating high school senior, graduate in the semester preceding the application or have earned a GED certificate in the year preceding the application
- Live in MPE’s service territory at the time of the application and have attended a high school in MPE’s service territory for at least one academic year prior to the date of the application
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0
- Provide a high school transcript (or official GED score) and ACT and/or SAT scores
- Ensure that applications are postmarked or received by the deadline (usually in late February or early March)